Montreal. Summer. Outdoor music festival. Some of my favourite bands.
There was no way I could miss out on Osheaga 2012!
Here are my favourite moments from the three-day festival.
1) Racing from the airport to Parc Jean-Drapeau to try to catch the Hey Ocean! set. I made it there just in time to see the last five minutes of their show, which just happened to feature a cover of Whitney Houston’s I Wanna Dance With Somebody. Woooo!
(I overheard someone after the show say that they didn’t play “Fish” – my favourite song of theirs – so I felt slightly better about missing the majority of the set.)
2) Seeing the lead singer of Yukon Blonde throw his sunglasses into the crowd in the first five minutes. That’s fan dedication – it was really sunny! (They played a great set in the sweltering heat, which must have been really tough with all that hair!)
3) Of Monsters and Men
I have only recently gotten into this band and they rocked their set!
4) Watching MGMT (which was a sound and light show in itself) while the finale of the International Fireworks Competition went off in the background. Ah-mazing!
1) Lounging around on the grass with the festival music in the background. Day two was hot, hot, hot and we spent most of the day spent chilling out and trying to escape the heat.
2) Reliving the 90s through a nostalgic set from Garbage. Shirley Manson has barely aged at all and is still as feisty as ever!
Although Garbage haven’t released any new music in the past seven years they were still one of the biggest acts at the festival. Really says a lot about their staying power!
1) Seeing The Shins live
They have been one of my favourite bands for years and they definitely delivered! When they played New Slang in the pouring rain, it was magic, just magic.
2) Passion Pit
My friend Sonya had introduced me to Passion Pit only a few hours before we arrived and I instantly loved them. So it was really cool to see them live that same day, especially through a set of alternating torrential rain and sunshine.
3) The crowd at M83
Singing, clapping, crowd surfing, jumping around, beach balls, people swaying on other people’s shoulders…the crowd was so into it, you couldn’t help but get caught up in it all!
4) Embracing the rain!
After two days of blistering sun, the rain was such a welcome relief. There’s something about being wet and muddy and just not caring!